UK Lib Dems pledge to stop Brexit if they come to power

first_imgPolls suggest it’s highly unlikely the Lib Dems would win a majority in a forthcoming general election. The party’s support is at around 18 percent, behind the Conservatives on 33 percent and Labour on 25 percent. Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson also ruled out the possibility of joining a coalition with Labour, telling the BBC’s Andrew Marr that Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn “is not going to be put into No. 10 with Liberal Democrat votes.”However, the new policy hardens the Lib Dems’ position as the most strongly opposed to Brexit among U.K. mainstream parties. That may help attract voters who opted to remain in the EU in the 2016 referendum.Though the next U.K. general election is not scheduled until 2022, a snap election is widely expected due to an impasse in parliament over Brexit. Prime Minister Boris Johnson has vowed to take the country out of the EU, deal or no deal, on October 31. His push to call an early election failed twice in parliament last week as his opponents say they want to ensure a no-deal Brexit is off the table before holding a vote. Britain’s Liberal Democrats toughened their anti-Brexit stance Sunday, adopting a pledge to stop the U.K. from leaving the EU if they come to power in the next general election.Party members at a conference voted to approve the new policy, which says the Lib Dems will campaign to revoke Britain’s notification to the EU that it plans to leave the bloc — if there is a general election before a new referendum is held.”First and foremost, the Liberal Democrats are calling for a people’s vote to stop Brexit. But if a general election comes first, we will take on the tired old parties with an unambiguous stop Brexit message,” the party said in a statement.last_img read more

See More

Taj Mahal Cancels Upcoming Concerts Due To Health Concerns

first_imgLegendary guitarist Taj Mahal has announced that he will be canceling all upcoming scheduled concerts for June and July, citing health issues and a much-needed break.Mahal’s management released the following statement, which promises that he will return by August. Read the text below:For decades Taj Mahal has been committed to giving fans the most of himself through music, both on stage and off. This has been his love and his life and it is with regret that The Maestro finds it necessary, at this time, to take a much needed break from the demands of his constant touring schedule. This brief hiatus will allow the time to re-charge his health and vitality.Taj promises to be back in August with refreshed and renewed health allowing him to continue his high energy performances well into the future. He hopes that you, his friends and fans, will understand. Taj looks forward to seeing you all as soon as he is back on the road.Until then, peace and love to you all from The Maestro[Via Taj Mahal’s Facebook]last_img read more

See More

Man Trapped in Iowa Cave for 20 Hours Rescued

first_imgAn Illinois man was trapped for more than 20 hours in a cave at an Iowa state park before being rescued Saturday.Iowa Department of Natural Resources spokesman Kevin Baskins said Logan Eliasen, 20, of Port Byron, Ill., was dislodged from a narrow part of Wye Cave at Maquoketa Caves State Park about 3:30 p.m. Saturday. He’d been stuck there since 6:45 p.m. Friday.Baskins said Eliasen was given oxygen and an IV to prevent dehydration as crews chiseled away rock to widen the path. He was taken from the scene to a Maquoketa hospital. A spokeswoman there said she couldn’t release his condition.Park Ranger Scot Dykstra said visitors discovered two people lodged in the cave about 8 p.m. Friday and alerted park staff. Dykstra said they became stuck while crawling through a narrow part of the cave.Rescue crews from Maquoketa and Quad Cities were able to free the woman, identified as 20-year-old Emma Thomson of Port Byron, Ill., about 11:40 p.m. Friday. She was treated at the scene for minor injuries, Baskins said.The 323-acre state park is northwest of Maquoketa, about halfway between Des Moines and Chicago. It features more than a dozen caves visitors can explore on their own, either by walking or crawling, based on their own ability and comfort level, according to the park website.Baskins said he’s not sure whether the man was experienced in cave exploration.last_img read more

See More

SRAM TT/Triathlon Bar End Shifters

first_imgSRAM unveiled their new “R2C” (Return 2 Center) at Ironman World Championships in Hawaii this year.  The bar-end shifters are intended for Time Trial and Triathlon aero bars and use a shifting method similar to normal road levers in that they snap back to the same position after each shift.Rather than remaining bent up or down and ruining the aero profile of your carefully crafted bike position, the carbon levers automatically snap into position pointing straight forward.  Weight is around 195g.  Read on after the “more” link to see the full press release with all the details and wind tunnel results…Click on the image to show full size.last_img read more

See More

Broadway’s Sexiest Man Alive for 2017 Is…

first_imgBring on the hunks! The results are in for our annual Broadway’s Sexiest Man Alive, and the fans (ahem, and the Broadway.com staff) went nuts ranking stage gents on Culturalist. For the second year in a row, this year’s title went to a curious cat that rocks leather pants onstage and a vlog camera off: Tyler Hanes! Cats’ Rum Tum Tugger shared the top 10 with stars like Wicked’s Ashley Parker Angel, Dear Evan Hansen’s Mike Faist and Ben Platt (who took his final curtain call in the musical on November 19) and more. Take a look at your sizzling top 10, and congrats to all the hunks making the Great White Way red hot!10. Adam Kaplan, A Bronx Tale 9. Alistair Brammer, Miss Saigon 8. Ashley Parker Angel, Wicked View Comments 2. Derek Klena, Anastasia 5. Ben Platt, Dear Evan Hansen 7. Mike Faist, Dear Evan Hansen 6. Christian Borle, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 1. Tyler Hanes, Cats 3. Ramin Karimloo, Anastasia 4. Gavin Creel, Hello, Dolly!last_img read more

See More

Johnson County judge orders Election Commissioner Ronnie Metsker to comply with request for list of provisional ballots

first_imgJohnson County Election Commissioner Ronnie Metsker during the primary canvass in August 2018.A Johnson County judge on Thursday sided with the progressive activist who sued Election Commissioner Ronnie Metsker after Metsker refused to hand over a list of provisional ballot voters requested under the Kansas Open Records Act.Davis Hammet, who heads Loud Light, an operation focused on increasing voter engagement and participation, was the plaintiff in the case filed in conjunction with the American Civil Liberties Union of Kansas in September. Hammet and the ACLU took legal action after Metsker’s office denied a request to produce a list of voters whose ballots were rejected because their signatures did not match those the Election Office had on file. Hammet also requested a full list of local voters who cast provisional ballots in the August primary, where Sec. of State Kris Kobach narrowly defeated Gov. Jeff Colyer in the Republican primary.Following the canvass, Hammet had filed a formal challenge to Kobach’s nomination in the gubernatorial race on the grounds that inconsistent treatment of provisional ballots from county to county could have impacted the outcome in so narrow a final tally.On Thursday, Johnson County District Court Judge David Hauber issued an order rejecting Metsker’s motion for summary judgment in his favor, granting Hammet’s motion for summary judgment in his favor, and directing Metsker to produce the requested records.“[T]he Court concludes that defendant’s refusal to produce a list of names of provisional ballot voters violates KORA and is not subject to any cited exemption,” Hauber wrote.In response to Hauber’s order, ACLU Legal Director and Interim Executive Director Lauren Bonds said the decision was “a win for democracy and transparency.”“Voting rights advocates now have the information they need to ensure election integrity and help provisional voters make sure their ballots count,” she said. “People should know whether their vote counted or if people faced any unnecessary barriers to voting.”Hauber’s full order is embedded below:[gview file=”http://shawneemissionpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/18CV05173_16289378.pdf”]last_img read more

See More

Gophers fall to Purdue at home

first_img“It’s always a battle to come up here in the Barn. … I thought our first half obviously was a battle back and forth, but I thought the second half we played really solid,” said Purdue head coach Sharon Versyp after the game.After the half, Purdue took back command of the game and soon was ahead with a score of 41-34. The Gophers, sparked by Bell, momentarily found new life and cut the lead to as low as three points with under two minutes left in the quarter.Unfortunately for head coach Lindsay Whalen, Minnesota struggled to get closer than that, and were outplayed in the last 10 minutes of action. By the end of the game Purdue had made 46 percent of their field goal attempts compared to Minnesota’s 31 percent. “There was a couple of points in the fourth [quarter] where it was a four-point game, so we’re in the game,” Whalen said. “Like I told the team, we’ve got to keep working. They’re in there every day shooting before and after practice, so it’s not for lack of effort, and we know that eventually the shots are going to fall.”Unlike most teams, Purdue was able to keep up with Minnesota’s rebounding. Coming into the game Minnesota had a +8.8 average rebounding margin on the season, but in Thursday’s matchup the teams were even with 39 rebounds apiece.Next, the Gophers will wait four days before playing Ohio State at home on Monday. Gophers fall to Purdue at homeDefense was the difference that pushed Purdue to a win in a low-scoring game at Williams Arena.Tony SaundersSophomore Destiny Pitts runs through defenders toward the hoop during the game against Purdue on Thursday, Jan. 24. Babatunde JinaduJanuary 25, 2019Jump to CommentsShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare via EmailPrintThe Purdue Boilermakers came to Williams Arena on Thursday night to take on the Minnesota women’s basketball team, bringing with them a 5-2 Big Ten record.Although two players put up double-digit scoring totals, Minnesota didn’t take advantage of home court as the game resulted in a 64-53 loss. Sophomore Destiny Pitts finished with 19 points, senior Kenisha Bell added another 17 points and Taiye Bello came down with 18 rebounds. However, the three standout performances were not enough to earn the Gophers a victory.Despite losing five of their last six games, the Gophers did not seem fazed as they jumped out to a 12-4 lead seven minutes into the contest. “I was sticking with my shot and being really confident. Coach [Lindsay] Whalen just told me to keep shooting it throughout all the games, so I think I went into this game feeling really confident,” Pitts said.Although Purdue fought back with an 8-3 run over the next three minutes, Minnesota would hold a 15-12 lead after the first quarter. In the second quarter, the Boilermakers continued their momentum and eventually took a 26-19 lead with just under five minutes remaining in the second quarter. Still, Minnesota didn’t give up and made an 8-0 run in five minutes to regain a one-point lead going into halftime.last_img read more

See More

Ronson abandons 480m Crest Nicholson bid for now

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

See More

The market in minutes – East Anglia

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

See More

Belize records one death from COVID

first_img “We are hereby reminding all those returning to their families, home or workplace, that it is anticipated that all will be doing self-quarantine for a minimum of 10 days notwithstanding a negative result; this is the broad recommendation to minimize further exposure,” the Ministry added. “Unfortunately we have another death to report, this is in a male in his 50s from Unitedville, he had been at KHMH’s ICU and had been having cardiac complications from when he arrived and the diagnosis of COVID had been made upon his admission to the ICU. Two patients currently remain intubated at KHMH. Our case fatality rate is now 1.37 per cent,” the Ministry of Health said in a statement Monday. Oct 15, 2020 You may be interested in… CMO says Saint Lucia at critical stage of COVID-19 outbreak St. Lucia records more cases of COVID Oct 15, 2020 The total number of cases since the pandemic was first detected in Trinidad and Tobago in March is now 4,766. There have been 81 deaths so far. More deaths from COVID-19 recorded in CARICOM countries,… Oct 16, 2020 Story via CMC – Belize has recorded one death from the coronavirus (COVID-19) with many other Caribbean Community (CARICOM) countries recording increases positive cases of the virus that has killed more than a million people and infected 35.2 million others, worldwide. Six Eastern Caribbean countries deemed safe for travel – CDC In Haiti, the Ministry of Public Health said eight new cases were recorded in the past 24 hours pushing the total to 8,819 cases. The death toll remains at 229, while the number of active cases stood at 1,598. Share this:PrintTwitterFacebookLinkedInLike this:Like Loading… center_img Jamaica has recorded 120 deaths. The newly confirmed cases include 73 males and 42 females with ages ranging from one year to 99 years. The genders of two of the cases are still under investigation. Death toll rises in Caribbean from COVID pandemicThe death toll from the coronavirus (COVID019) pandemic in the Caribbean increased on Tuesday as three Caribbean Community (CARICOM) countries registered deaths from the virus that has so far killed 966,000 people and infected 31.4 million others globally since last December. The health authorities in Jamaica said that five new…September 23, 2020In “General”10 year-old Jamaican girl tests positive as three Caribbean countries record COVID deathsBelize, Guyana and Trinidad and Tobago have recorded deaths associated with the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic as regional countries continue to grapple with the virus that has killed 961,000 and infected 31.1 million others worldwide since the first case was detected in China last December. Barbados said that its four new…September 21, 2020In “General”More COVID-19 recoveries, deaths in CARICOM Member StatesSeveral CARICOM Member States are recording more deaths from the COVID-19 global pandemic. While some patients who were diagnosed with the virus have recovered and have been discharged from hospitals in some countries, Jamaica, Guyana and Trinidad and Tobago have recorded more deaths from the disease. On Wednesday 1 April,…April 1, 2020In “CARICOM”Share this on WhatsApp According to the Ministry of Health and Wellness, there were also 175 recoveries, bringing the number of recovered cases to 2,635. Jamaica recorded 117 new cases of COVID-19 in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of cases to 7,012. Suriname is reporting 17 new cases over the past 24 hours. The Dutch-speaking Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country says it has 94 actives cases as of Sunday night with the number of infections being 4,941. Furthermore 4, 741 people have been cured of the virus and that the death toll remains at 106. The Ministry said that the team at the airport also cleared 192 passengers from the two flights that arrived with 88 of these passengers arrived with a negative PCR and the airport screening process managing to pick a positive case in the remaining ones screened. The total number of patients discharged is now 1,097, as four people have been sent home from public health facilities. The ministry said there are 37 recovered community cases, meaning patients who were in self-isolation and met the ministry’s discharge criteria, is 37. There have now been 1, 787 recovered community cases. Oct 16, 2020 Trinidad and Tobago Ministry of Health reported that three more people have tested positive for the virus in its morning bulletin, bringing the total number of active cases there to 1,801. It said that the death toll now stands at 30 and65 new positive cases have pushed the total to 2, 196 with 788 being active ones.last_img read more

See More